What's your favorite forum software?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's your favorite forum software?

Post by DarkBlaze on Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:12 am

There are tons of different forum software out on the web, each with different features. Which is your personal favorite and why? For paid software, IPB is definitely the best. The admin control panel looks amazing, and it's very easy to navigate. Plus there are so many features that come with just the board itself, making it very easy to use for newcomers. It's definitely worth buying a liscense for it. However if you're looking for a free forum software alternative, MyBB and phpBB are wonderful. I also like ModernBB too, it's not as well known as phpBB or MyBB but it's default theme looks awesome and the admin control panel is easy to navigate. It's just lacking in some features that MyBB and phpBB has...

DarkBlaze
New member

Posts : 2
Pts : 6
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-01-22
Full

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by Ikerepc on Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:43 am

From paid I don't know. IPB or XenForo...

From free softwares definetly MyBB, It have best look and admin panel with a lot of functions what are easy to navigate. For phpBB you need to be expert, It have really difficult admin panel. I don't like SMF, punBB looks bad by default, Vanilla too, and it's hard to use... I never tryed ModernBB Smile

From free online forums I will shoose Forumotion or if I really can't, than some free hosting of myBB like icyboards... Smile
avatar
Ikerepc
Ikerepc (Forum owner)
Ikerepc (Forum owner)

Posts : 345
Pts : 480
Reputation : 19
Join date : 2014-12-10
Location : Croatia
Full

View user profile http://admins.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:01 am

I use the Invision format at my place and seem to be happy with it.

I do not have a personalized css because I have never learned to do the codes. Perhaps I will learn that in my navigation here.
avatar
Glad E Olah
ATF Member

Posts : 53
Pts : 70
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2015-01-22
Location : SE MO USA
Full

View user profile http://shoutaroundtheworld.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by Ikerepc on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:06 am

I will open topic for really basic CSS soon Smile
avatar
Ikerepc
Ikerepc (Forum owner)
Ikerepc (Forum owner)

Posts : 345
Pts : 480
Reputation : 19
Join date : 2014-12-10
Location : Croatia
Full

View user profile http://admins.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by brandon_g on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:11 am

I use PHPBB2 as my forum version. I have never owned a forum using any other version so I will have to assume PHPBB2 is my favorite version.

_________________
-Brandon

~Administrator
avatar
brandon_g
ATF Staff
ATF Staff

Posts : 628
Pts : 506
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2015-01-22
Location : USA
Full

View user profile http://broadcastingduo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:16 am

Ikerepc wrote:I will open topic for really basic CSS soon Smile

Thanks Ikerepc. Is is ok if I call you Ike for short? (easier for me to type is the reason). If not I will learn the full name.

There is no rush about the CSS but I will be glad to learn so I can update my place sometime.
avatar
Glad E Olah
ATF Member

Posts : 53
Pts : 70
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2015-01-22
Location : SE MO USA
Full

View user profile http://shoutaroundtheworld.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:19 am

brandon_g wrote:I use PHPBB2 as my forum version. I have never owned a forum using any other version so I will have to assume PHPBB2 is my favorite version.

PHPBB2 is fine...I have used it before. For some reason Invision does seem to be my favorite. One reason it does offer numbers on the posts of the threads.

If I am not mistaken you can change versions at any time.
avatar
Glad E Olah
ATF Member

Posts : 53
Pts : 70
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2015-01-22
Location : SE MO USA
Full

View user profile http://shoutaroundtheworld.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by Ikerepc on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:24 am

You can call me Ike Smile

You can change versions at any time but than you lost your design Wink

On forunotion you have tutorial for post numbers Smile.

I like invision too. I want to choice between invision and phpbb 3 for this forum but I choiced phpbb 3 Smile

I don't like phpBB 2 because it use html tables for everything in templates Wink
avatar
Ikerepc
Ikerepc (Forum owner)
Ikerepc (Forum owner)

Posts : 345
Pts : 480
Reputation : 19
Join date : 2014-12-10
Location : Croatia
Full

View user profile http://admins.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by brandon_g on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:25 am

You can, however, every time you switch versions you must re code certain things in your theme or some things will not function or look right. This most times will require (if you have other admins) your whole team their all day and the forum being closed and put on Forum Construction mode. This is why I will not switch to PHPBB3.

_________________
-Brandon

~Administrator
avatar
brandon_g
ATF Staff
ATF Staff

Posts : 628
Pts : 506
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2015-01-22
Location : USA
Full

View user profile http://broadcastingduo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:31 am

I did try PHPBB3 a few times and if I remember right it made the homepage different. But, as mentioned I do not have a personalized css panel so maybe it makes no difference if you change versions or not.

avatar
Glad E Olah
ATF Member

Posts : 53
Pts : 70
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2015-01-22
Location : SE MO USA
Full

View user profile http://shoutaroundtheworld.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by brandon_g on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:33 am

Maybe, I really do not know. My forum has been PHPBB2 since it was founded in 2011! Smile

_________________
-Brandon

~Administrator
avatar
brandon_g
ATF Staff
ATF Staff

Posts : 628
Pts : 506
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2015-01-22
Location : USA
Full

View user profile http://broadcastingduo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by Ikerepc on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:38 am

I founded first forum at the end of 2013 for fun with friends and first got in touch with codes at support forum, and learned them. First just copyed, than made my first custom code, than design etc.

------ Merged ------

I designed whole skin for this forum for about hour and half. Half hour for colors and removing phpbb 3 rounded borders and 1 hour for index. Because of that it's a little buggy, I need to fix it, but my computer don't work... Very Happy


Last edited by Ikerepc on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Ikerepc
Ikerepc (Forum owner)
Ikerepc (Forum owner)

Posts : 345
Pts : 480
Reputation : 19
Join date : 2014-12-10
Location : Croatia
Full

View user profile http://admins.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by brandon_g on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:47 am

Ikerepc wrote:I designed whole skin for this forum for about hour and half. Half hour for colors and removing phpbb 3 rounded borders and 1 hour for index. Because of that it's a little buggy, I need to fix it, but my computer don't work... Very Happy

My forum's design and theme were very gratefully made and designed by one of my admins in 2012, it is not even 100% finished. It is only about 90% finished, I am still making a few tweaks here and there to it. It is a pretty nice design though.

_________________
-Brandon

~Administrator
avatar
brandon_g
ATF Staff
ATF Staff

Posts : 628
Pts : 506
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2015-01-22
Location : USA
Full

View user profile http://broadcastingduo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by The Flash on Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:18 am

My favorite free forum software is definitely MyBB (IcyBoards), and as for paid, it would have to be IPB. PHBB3 is good as well. Smile
avatar
The Flash
ATF Member

Posts : 319
Pts : 187
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2015-02-12
Full

View user profile http://spamheaven.icyboards.net

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by Ikerepc on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:52 am

Phpbb3 is worst forum and most harder to work I ever seen... I hate it.

For payed I will think between IPB and XenForo. For free definetly mybb
avatar
Ikerepc
Ikerepc (Forum owner)
Ikerepc (Forum owner)

Posts : 345
Pts : 480
Reputation : 19
Join date : 2014-12-10
Location : Croatia
Full

View user profile http://admins.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by brandon_g on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:43 pm

Ikerepc wrote:Phpbb3 is worst forum and most harder to work I ever seen... I hate it.

For payed I will think between IPB and XenForo. For free definetly mybb

Really? Would you say phpbb2 was worse or better?

_________________
-Brandon

~Administrator
avatar
brandon_g
ATF Staff
ATF Staff

Posts : 628
Pts : 506
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2015-01-22
Location : USA
Full

View user profile http://broadcastingduo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by Ikerepc on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:09 pm

I don't know, I never used it.

I talking about real software. Not this forumotion mix. They just called it like that because of it's style. But it's not p of Phpbb.
avatar
Ikerepc
Ikerepc (Forum owner)
Ikerepc (Forum owner)

Posts : 345
Pts : 480
Reputation : 19
Join date : 2014-12-10
Location : Croatia
Full

View user profile http://admins.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by brandon_g on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:59 pm

I knew this. Anyhow I get you. Very Happy

_________________
-Brandon

~Administrator
avatar
brandon_g
ATF Staff
ATF Staff

Posts : 628
Pts : 506
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2015-01-22
Location : USA
Full

View user profile http://broadcastingduo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by The Flash on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:49 am

I hated phBB2. It was terrible.
avatar
The Flash
ATF Member

Posts : 319
Pts : 187
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2015-02-12
Full

View user profile http://spamheaven.icyboards.net

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by brandon_g on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:52 am

Well it is not that bad, my forum still runs on it and it looks mighty fine! Granted it is harder to find codes or working codes for it now a days but there are certain peopld such as I my friend Ange Tuteur who has a code for just about EVERTHING. Always a good person to ask. Very Happy

_________________
-Brandon

~Administrator
avatar
brandon_g
ATF Staff
ATF Staff

Posts : 628
Pts : 506
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2015-01-22
Location : USA
Full

View user profile http://broadcastingduo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by The Flash on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:55 am

brandon_g wrote:Well it is not that bad, my forum still runs on it and it looks mighty fine! Granted it is harder to find codes or working codes for it now a days but there are certain peopld such as I my friend Ange Tuteur who has a code for just about EVERTHING. Always a good person to ask. Very Happy

Ah, yes. Ange Tuteur has some very nice codes. I remember him from the Forumotion help forum.
avatar
The Flash
ATF Member

Posts : 319
Pts : 187
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2015-02-12
Full

View user profile http://spamheaven.icyboards.net

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by brandon_g on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:57 am

Yes, but when I need codes I know he can provide, I skip the support forum and ask in his forum FM Design, you get the codes without the drama or hassle. Wink

_________________
-Brandon

~Administrator
avatar
brandon_g
ATF Staff
ATF Staff

Posts : 628
Pts : 506
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2015-01-22
Location : USA
Full

View user profile http://broadcastingduo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by The Flash on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:59 am

brandon_g wrote:Yes, but when I need codes I know he can provide, I skip the support forum and ask in his forum FM Design, you get the  codes without the drama or hassle. Wink

What do you mean by drama?
avatar
The Flash
ATF Member

Posts : 319
Pts : 187
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2015-02-12
Full

View user profile http://spamheaven.icyboards.net

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by brandon_g on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:05 am

You know spammers, those little trolls that try to be annoying because their previous account was banned stuff like that. The support forum has haters, Ange's forum does not (after all who could hate helpful Ange Razz). That is what I meant.

_________________
-Brandon

~Administrator
avatar
brandon_g
ATF Staff
ATF Staff

Posts : 628
Pts : 506
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2015-01-22
Location : USA
Full

View user profile http://broadcastingduo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by The Flash on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:16 am

brandon_g wrote:You know spammers, those little trolls that try to be annoying because their previous account was banned stuff like that. The support forum has haters, Ange's forum does not (after all who could hate helpful Ange Razz). That is what I meant.

Ah, yes. I've never encountered any over there, but I'm sure they exist. Smile
avatar
The Flash
ATF Member

Posts : 319
Pts : 187
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2015-02-12
Full

View user profile http://spamheaven.icyboards.net

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your favorite forum software?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum